I have not verified the veracity of these, but thought they were just outlandish enough to be true. My source is the website, http://www.legal-forms-kit.com/legal-jokes/dumb-laws.html.
Here is a sample of some of the laws apparently on the books in California:
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
- No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.
- Many animals are illegal to own as pets, including snails, sloths, and elephants.
- Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.
- It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
- It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
- Molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine.
- It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss.
- One may not carry a lunch down the street between 11 and 1 o’clock.
- Persons classified as ‘ugly’ may not walk down any street.
- It is illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.